Friday, February 19, 2010

Trees. Of snakes and clams...

My Trees series is about dormancy, death and decay. Perfect for our New England Winter.

Between Newtonville and the Watertown Dam, the Charles River is narrow, shallow and muddy. I used to take my daughter for walks down here when she was little.

The ducks, geese, turtles, squirrels and other semi-suburban beasts are almost close enough to touch.

The black muck on the southern bank of the river is full of agreeably rotting, moldy and fungal remnants of once living trees. Perfect for a late afternoon photo expedition.

CulEbra laughably presented itself down by the river bank. It looked like a large, long, thick, limp...uh...snake, draped carelessly between the outstretched, upended legs of the tree at the top of the frame. "Culebra" is the spanish word for "snake." It also has other connotations.

CulEbra also reminded me of the geoduck clams I saw at a farmer's market in San Francisco. Pronounced "gooey-duck," Panope generosa is a giant, obscene-looking edible clam. You can tell the tourists at the market, because when they first see the geoducks, they blush, turn on their heels and giggle. I am told they're delicious. The geoducks, not the tourists.

"HighTide" is an example of clear evidence of a recently higher water level. I love glimpsing the submerged roots of this tree through the clear water. Reflections of trees on the other bank are seen at the top of the frame. And the fallen, floating leaf seems perfectly placed (no, I didn't put it there) for this portrait.

There are many other compelling sights here where the river is narrow and light dapples through the naked winter trees.

Soon I must get a pair of waders so I can go out to the middle of the stream and catch the setting sun. ###

©2010 Roberto Mighty www.robertomightyart.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment